Nutrition & Diet For Fertility
The following information comes from a study By doctors Jorge E. Chavarro, MD, ScD & Walter C. Willet, on fertility that included 18,555 women and over eighty million bits of information. From that information, they discovered that you can:
Boost Your Ovulation Fertility with Ten Simple Diet Changes
1. Avoid trans fats, the artery-clogging fats found in many commercially prepared products and fast foods.
2. Use more unsaturated vegetable oils, olive oil or canola oil.
3. Eat more vegetable protein, like beans and nuts, and less animal protein.
4. Choose whole grains and other sources of carbohydrate that have lower, slower effects on blood sugar and insulin rather than highly refined carbohydrates that quickly boost blood sugar and insulin.
5. Drink a glass of whole milk or have a small dish of ice cream or full-fat yogurt every day; temporarily trade in skim milk and low- or non-fat dairy products like cottage cheese and frozen yogurt for their full-fat cousins.
6. Take a multivitamin that contains folic acids and other B vitamins.
7. Get plenty of iron from fruits, vegetables, beans, and supplements but not from red meat.
8. Beverages matter: water is great; coffee, tea, and alcohol are OK in moderation; NO Fizzy drinks!
9. Aim for a healthy weight. If you are overweight, losing between 5 and 10 percent of your weight can jump-start ovulation.
10. If you aren’t physically active, start a daily exercise plan. If you already exercise, pick up the pace of your workouts. But don’t overdo it, especially if you are quite lean—too much exercise can work against conception.
Recommendations from ‘The Fertility Diet’
OUR TOP TIP:
Get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water and use stress-reduction techniques to boost your fertility. Too much stress, exhaustion and dehydration can all interfere with a woman’s cycle. Drink at least eight glasses of water, cut back or even better cut out on caffeine, and get eight hours of sleep each night, and you can greatly improve your chances of getting pregnant.